In October 2016, Institute for Virus Research (IVR) and Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences (IFMS) were merged, and Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences (inFront) was launched for the purpose of further development and enhancing original research activities as well as creating new academic area. IFMS was first designated as Joint Usage/ Research Center for Transdisciplinary Collaboration on Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine in October 2008, and was reappointed in 2016. Since first designation, IFMS has diligently promoted the projects as the Joint Usage/ Research Center, and inFront, as a new institute, is expected to continuously take over the responsibility until FY2021.
1. Target Research Areas
We look for a wide range of subjects concerning developmental biology, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.
We’re promoting international joint research
2. Eligible Applicants
A researcher who belongs to a university or a research institution, or those equivalent as of April 1st 2019.
*In addition to a head applicant researcher, graduate students can be also listed
3. Duration of Joint Research
The program will support the adopted joint research for one year from April 1st 2019 to March 31st 2020.
4. Application method
Applicants need to consult in advance about the research contents with our faculty member who will be the co-researcher of this program.
Applicants are required to submit “Application of Joint Usage/ Research Center Program” and “Letter of Consent” by the head of the institution to which the applicant belongs by mailing to the address shown below. Please use the English form for the International joint research application. Submission of forms via e-mail is also acceptable. In this case, send a scanned PDF file of “Letter of Consent” with head’s hand-written signature, not electronic signature.
|Submit to:||General Affair’s Section, Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences
53 Shogoin Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan*Please write “Application for Joint Usage/Research Center Program” with red ink on the envelope.
|Contact:||General Affair’s Section, Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences
Kyoto UniversityTEL: (075)751-3802
Replace the * (asterisk) with @ (at mark) when sending an e-mail.
No later than 17:00 (JST) on Tuesday, January 15th 2019
6. Result announcement
Selection will be conducted by the management committee for Joint Usage/Research Center Program for Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences. The result will be notified to individual applicants by the end of March 2019.
7. Research funding
inFront will cover each of following expenses up to 1,000,000 yen yearly for one year (2019 fiscal year) for an adopted research theme.
This fund can be used for expendable supplies, travel expenses between inFront and applicant’s affiliation, and accommodation expenses. Note that expendable supplies should be used in inFront.
Note that the amount of grant may be decreased from the requested amount.
※Office supplies and general-purpose items such as PCs are not included in the expendable supplies.
Contact General Affair’s Section, inFront. for accommodation information.
1) Adopted joint researchers are requested to visit inFront to implement relevant joint research. Applicants can stay our research center for several weeks to several months.
2) You need to choose the research area from either “Study of the portent” or “Interdisciplinary study”. The projects will be classified and evaluated within the same area.
Study of the portent: Study at sprouting period for challenging goal
Interdisciplinary study: Study on fusion area beyond the boundaries of fields
3) Adopted researcher is required to submit a research report at the end of FY2019. The submitted report will be placed on our website as well as annual report. Therefore, please take care of priority issue if the researcher think of patent application based on the results of collaborative study.
Our research center will use it for quotation on business reports of inFront.
4) A report meeting will be held in the end of fiscal year. The adopted researchers are encouraged to participate the meeting.
5) Based on law and regulation, for studies which needs efforts for bioethics and safety measures, including animal experiments, use of a human sample, human gene analysis and recombinant DNA experiments will be required in some cases to undergo approval procedure and attendance of education and training by inside or outside committees of our institute.
6) When reporting or publishing the achievement of relevant joint research, the scientist is requested to add a sentence as below.
“This work was supported by the Cooperative Research Program（Joint Usage/ Research Center program）of Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences Kyoto University.”
7)Application of intellectual property rights based on this joint research should be discussed separately with inFront office.