In October 2016, Institute for Virus Research (IVR) and Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences were merged, and Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences (inFront) was launched for the purpose of further developing and enhancing original research activities as well as creating new academic area. IVR was first designated as Joint Usage/ Research Center for Fusion of Advanced Technologies and Innovative Approaches to Viral Infections and Life Science in June 2009, and was reappointed this year. Since first designation, IVR has diligently promoted the projects as the Joint Usage/ Research Center, and inFront, as a new institute, is expected to continuously take over the responsibility until FY2021.
Thus, inFront calls for proposals for joint research projects in the following three research areas.
1. Target Research Areas
A) Viral Infection Experiments on Non-human Primates at BSL-3 Facility
To develop research based on the adopted theme by implementing viral infection experiments on non-human primates at BSL-3 facility with capacity of 48 monkeys. Research details should be discussed with relevant host scientists of inFront in advance.
B) Viral Infection Experiments on Mice at BSL-3 Facility
To develop research based on the adopted theme by implementing viral infection experiments on mice at BSL-3 facility with capacity of 100 mouse cages. Research details should be discussed with relevant host scientists of inFront in advance.
C) Gene and Cell-level Virus and Biological Science Research
Scientists in our individual departments implement their study of front-line virus or biological sciences based on their own research themes. We would like to call for joint researchers who will take part in one of those research themes. Research details should be discussed with relevant host scientists of inFront in advance.
For information about the research themes, please refer to the URL below.
2. Eligible Applicants
- A researcher who belongs to a university or a research institution, or those equivalent as of April 1st 2019.
- A researcher who is eligible to apply for Grants-in-Aid (KAKENHI) if his or her affiliation is a university or institution in Japan.
*Other than a head applicant researcher, graduate students can be also listed.
3. Duration of Joint Research
The program will support the adopted joint research for one year from April 1st 2019 to March 31st 2020.
*Continuous re-adoption for the next year’s program might be possible depending on research progress.
4. Documents to Submit
Applicants are required to submit “Application of Joint Usage/ Research Center Program” by mailing to address below. Submission of forms converted to PDF via e-mail is also acceptable. In this case, send PDF of original “Letter of Consent” with head’s hand-written signature or seal, not electronic signature.
|Submit to:||General Affair’s Section, Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences
53 Shogoin Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan*Please write “Application for Joint Usage/Research Center Program” with red ink on the envelope.
|Contact:||General Affair’s Section, Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences
Kyoto UniversityTEL: (075)751-4003
Replace the * (asterisk) with @ (at mark) when sending an e-mail.
No later than 17:00 (JST) on Tuesday, January 15th 2019
6. Result announcement
Selection will be conducted by the management committee for Joint Usage/Research Center Program for Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences. The result will be notified to individual applicants by the end of March 2019.
Those who are adopted will be appointed as a program-based researcher of Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences Kyoto University.
7. Research funding
inFront will cover each of following expenses up to 400,000 yen yearly for an adopted research theme.
A) Expendable supplies, travel expenses between inFront and applicant’s affiliation, and accommodation expenses
B) Expenses for proper animal care and management for experiments on non-human primates
Note that the amount to be approved might be decreased from the requested amount.
Contact General Affair’s Section, inFront. Our office can offer some information.
1) Applicants must closely consult with their host scientists of inFront before submitting application. Adopted joint researchers are requested to visit inFront to implement relevant joint research.
2) When you have a plan to conduct experiments using radioisotope and radiation generator (accelerator, X-ray generator), you must be a registered user. To be the user, you should take a lecture of an education and training concerning prevention from radiation hazards.
3) Adopted scientist must submit a research report at the end of FY2019. Those report will be placed on our website as well as annual report.
4) Treatment of intellectual property rights should be discussed separately with inFront.
5) When reporting or publishing the achievement of relevant joint research, the scientist is requested to add a sentence as below.
This work was supported by Joint Usage/Research Center program of Institute for Frontier Life and Medical Sciences Kyoto University.
6) For research theme of Viral Infection Experiments on Non-human Primate BSL-3 Facility, animal care and management expenses must be borne by the adopted scientist. The monthly fee is stipulated in the regulations on animal care and management expenses of non-human primate experiments facility in inFront. Note that the cost will be calculated twice by dividing a year into two terms.
7) A report meeting will be held in the end of fiscal year, please participate.
8) For more information, contact general affair’s section, inFront or your host scientist.